Pages

KCRW's 8th Annual
Reggae Night at The Hollywood Bowl.




On Sunday, August 9th I had the distinct honor of hosting an amazing night of music, featuring TOOTS & THE MAYTALS and MICHAEL ROSE at the legendary Hollywood Bowl...As they led me to my room backstage, I noticed the black and white photos that line the hallway - Frank Sinatra, Jimi Hendrix and other legends that have graced the stage of the historic Hollywood Bowl. The depth of the moment began to set in. Now, I have seen a lot of green rooms, introduced and deejayed for many of my living idols - and your better believe hosting a night with Black Uhuru's Michael Rose and the one and only Toots & The Maytals would definitely be one of them. But what was unprecedented in my world was hosting a sold out show of 18,000 people, under a perfect August sky in Los Angeles. The energy was electric, and the honor I felt was majestic.  
If you had asked me when I moved to LA, if I could picture myself on the stage of the Hollywood Bowl, I'm not going to lie - the answer would be yes. Yet still, when the moment came and I was cued to take the mic, all the warmth flooded inward; the joy of sharing music for a living, the inspiring family that I have inherited at KCRW, and the present moment of personal grandeur all compounded on inhalation. And let me tell you the exhale was even sweeter. I stepped to the mic and did what I do, and the rest of the night, as they say, is history - at least personally.

No comments: